THE IPC INTERNSHIP
The Iron Performance Center Internship is a unique opportunity to further your education, and gain massive amounts of experience in a relatively short amount of time. Strength Coach interns will begin each semester by learning the importance of building relationships, facility organization, and basic coaching responsibility. Over the course of your time here, as you show proficiency in certain tasks, you will have unique opportunities to coach with extreme autonomy, navigate assessment and programming challenges, as well as provide your own unique insight on how the facility can improve in the future.
In addition to your time on the floor with our clients, you will be expected to complete valuable learning experiences outside the gym including aiding our coaches with the facilitation of our online offerings, reading assignments, media work, researching, and attending a weekly professional development session. Furthermore, you will be expected to participate in staff lifts when the opportunity presents itself; if we are to enforce a culture of excellence, we must lead from the front. All interns should be comfortable “bending the bar”.
THE GOAL & OUTCOMES
The goal of our internship is two fold. We want to mold you into a great coach. When you leave this program you will represent our facility and we don’t take that lightly. You will have the tools to assess, program for, and coach clients at a rate of proficiency high above the majority of personal trainers and coaches in the industry. Secondly, our internship program is designed to develop future employees. We are Niagara’s best personal and performance training facility. An intern who displays a high level of cohesiveness and technical skills may have the opportunity to be hired as a strength coach at Iron Performance Center.
Let us be clear. This is not an observational internship nor is it a simple resume booster. You will coach athletes and clients all hours of the day to give you a fully immersive experience of what it takes to be a Strength Coach in our industry. You will learn through active participation and close relationships with our staff. Because of the high amount of detail we put into the training of each intern, we only select one to three interns for each semester. It is recommended that interested applicants have a firm background in exercise science and display a high desire to better their craft.
Hard work ethic and phenomenal time management skills are a must, no excuses will be tolerated. Applicants should be extremely passionate and prepared for rigorous days, this internship is very demanding. Please pay close attention to the application process as any errors in regards to following the application process will cause your application to be rejected regardless of the quality of applicant and their experience. Please note this internship is unpaid.
Upon completion, all successful interns will receive a Certificate of Completionwhich recognizes:
- 240 Completed Internship Hours
- Competency of Assigned Curriculum
- 2.0 NSCA CEUs
- 17.5 CSEP PDCs
- Be able to commit to one entire semester
- Meet MINIMUM expectation of 20 hours per week
- Attend ALL PD sessions held every Thursday 10:30am-1:30pm
- Pursuing or have completed a degree in exercise science or kinesiology
- Demonstrate strong enthusiasm for learning and teaching
- Ability to work hard, work independently and accept constructive feedback
- Have a genuine passion for strength training and fitness
What We Need From You
- 1-page cover letter outlining why you wish to intern with Iron Performance Center
- Resume outlining all relevant experience (professional references encouraged)
- Sample training plan
- Semester availability
2021-2022 Internship Semester Dates
- Summer: May 24th-August 16th, 2021
- (Deadline: April 9th, 2021)
- Fall: September 13th-December 6th, 2021
- (Deadline: August 20th, 2021)
- Winter: January 10th-April 4th, 2022
- (Deadline: November 19th, 2021)
Please email all documents in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with attention to Coach Matrixx